Kelsie had her first day of school today. I can guarantee I was a million times more anxious/excited than her. We had been talking about it all week. Whenever I asked her what her preschool teachers name is, she would reply with "Miss Kathryn- My Buddy". Jerry & Suzy were moving to their new house that week so I was on Kelsie duty and glad to be. :) We started the morning with breakfast of her choice- which was cinnamon muffins. YUM! She chose to eat them while wearing sunglasses. Whatever.
I made sure we checked off all her homework items. This preschool thing is serious stuff. The last item makes me cry every time I read it. It says: "Now that I am done with this list, please help me find my bag, attach this initialed list to my black clip, help me pick out clothes for the big day, and give me a hug. Thanks for helping me!"
Yes, I bought her a new outfit for school. How could I not??? It was her FIRST DAY!!!
And I gave her a good luck present. It was something I knew she would love... glasses. I made her leave them in my car when we got to Kathryn's house but she was ok with that. Growing up, my mom always took our pictures outside our house on the first day of school. Naturally I had to carry on tradition.
She did exactly as I expected with the actual drop off at Kathryn's. Kelsie was excited all morning. Seriously. Then we got it the car. We rounded the corner and her anxiety increased. She wanted to make sure that me & her dad would be going in with her- just like at orientation. I changed the subject. Kathryn has a rule that the kids should walk up the sidewalk to her house by themselves. HAHA I informed her that would never happen with Kels on the first day. So to teach the kids, if they aren't ready to walk up the sidewalk, the parent needs to waive at Kathryn and she will come out to the car and walk with them. Kelsie had a death grip on my neck and was crying but reluctantly went with Kathryn. I got back in the car and lost it. I bawled the whole way home. I knew she would be ok but she's still just my baby. I needed to get stuff done at home but all my mind could think of was Kelsie. I was so excited when it was time to pick her up. I made sure to get there early and joined all the other parents with cameras in the driveway. There are 7 other kiddos in her class (5 are boys). Kelsie came running out happy as could be. YEAY!!!!
That night we talked about preschool and finished up by reading my favorite book, Grover Goes To School. Maz gave me this book (see what she wrote inside the cover) for my first day of school in 1984. I have kept it in awesome condition and was so proud to pass it down. :) I know, I'm a cheese-ball.














No comments:
Post a Comment